Chaired by Fiona Burnett, Professor of Applied Plant Pathology and Head of Knowledge Exchange and Impact at SRUC, the Agriculture and the Environment session opens the Crop Production Northern Britain Conference for 2022 on 1st March.
The Agriculture and Environment session has an exciting range of high-profile speakers, looking at topics ranging from cultivation techniques to support disease suppressive soils, the benefits of intercropping and variety mixtures, to considering the impact of pesticide withdrawals on crop production in Scotland.
With an opening address from Lorna Slater MSP, Minister for Green Skills, Circular Economy and Biodiversity and Keynote presentation from Professor Mathew Williams, recently appointed Chief Scientific Adviser for Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture for Scottish Government and leader of the Global Change Ecology Lab in the School of GeoSciences at the University of Edinburgh, the Agriculture and the Environment session will be both informative and insightful.
A selection of high-profile speakers, plenty of opportunity for discussion, plus 6 BASIS and 2 NRoSO CPD points for the entire event, all from the comfort of your laptop, means this is an unmissable opportunity to attend the foremost Conference concerning environmental management and crop production and associated topics in northern environments.
Full list of speakers and topics for the Agriculture and Environment session of #CPNB2022:
- 10.00 Chair: Fiona Burnett, SRUC Edinburgh, Chairperson ACPNB
- 10.05 Mathew Williams, Chair of Global Change Ecology Edinburgh University and Chief Scientific Adviser for Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture for Scottish Government
- 10.45 Lorna Slater MSP, Minister for Green Skills, Circular Economy and Biodiversity
- 11.10 Fiona Burnett, Andy Evans: The impact of pesticide withdrawals on crop production in Scotland
- 11.25 Adrian Newton: Are variety mixtures / blends best for low or high input cropping systems
- 11.40 Jennie Brierley, James Lynott, Louise Sullivan: Investigating soil cultivation practices and the development of disease suppressive soils
- 11.55 Ali Karley, Adrian Newton: Winter pea production with cereal intercropping
- 12.10 Rob Brooker, Adrian Newton, Ali Karley, Mitchell C, Hewison R: Identifying challenges and developing solutions: lessons from participatory approaches to improving and promoting crop mixtures.